Saturday, June 30, 2007

Solve one problem; create two more

One thing that I've discovered, is that if I could do this all over, I'd "drain the site" before any construction began. As it is, we had a wetter than average summer (so far) and so the rain has swamped the job site and the rain isn't stopping. There's more to come.
I made one step toward solving this problem today, but I created two new problems in the process, and I'm particularly upset about it.
I rented a backhoe and dug trenches to allow water to flow away from the house at 3 points that were problems. We still have a problem, which I hope to solve by shovel tomorrow, near Rachel's west garden. It's swampy there right now, as we've drained water from the job site to that location. The backhoe got stuck, and it took 3 of us to unstick it. I was finally able to drive out with a wide turn, and with fear of stopping and getting stuck again, I kept on going. Unfortunately, the hoe was positioned to one side of the tractor, and so I side-swiped the garden shed, tearing out a corner of the building. That costed me time and money (probably near $500).
I dug another trench at the northeastern corner of the site, hoping to drain water past Rachel's east garden (the orchard) to the woods. I was careful to avoid the water line (and phone and electric lines to the garden) by digging carefully with a shovel to locate them. I still managed to snag the water line and so that'll have to be repaired. The phone and electrical lines are fine, but it's just frustrating to have this new problem, and I'll have to dig the rest of the trench by hand. So I have all this work ahead of me, and it feels like I just don't have the time or the money to solve these new problems.
I dug a trench (within view by the IP-cam) at the southeast corner of the site (at the end of the retaining wall there) to drain the site to the pasture. We got great flow from the site at that location, but the trench is across our driveway to the building we're currently living in. This means that I have to finish this job this weekend, so that Rachel can get out and go to work on Monday (although she hates her job and wishes she could retire from it)(I hate my job too, by the way, but it pays too well to quit. We need the money for the house).
So tomorrow, I've got to put the drain pipe in the ground (with the sock around it, of course). I'll need to put what little gravel I can scrounge up (I'd have gravel delivered, but we've had so much rain that the dump truck would get bogged down in the mud if they tried to bring it on our property).
As a side note, I should mention that we've had this property for over 10 years and have never had these kinds of problems with wet ground. However, we've never had this much rain combined with this much traffic on the property. And the driveway is new since the old established driveway path went through the area where we're building the house. Even so, the driveway out near the road is also bogged down, and that's a part of the old established driveway that never had this problem in the last ten years.
Anyway, tomorrow, I'll be finishing that french drain so that I can cover it up so that Rachel will be able to drive over it Monday morning. I bought six bags (I'll likely need more, but if so, I'll buy more tomorrow) of concrete, and I plan to cover the top surface above the pipe, so that driving over it wont crush the pipe. I'll have 3 inches of dirt atop the drain pipe, but that's not enough to distribute the weight, but the concrete should span the trench and distribute weight to both sides of the trench, protecting the drain pipe. That's the goal, anyway.
My advise to anyone doing this, is establish your drainage of the site before building (regardless of your average climate and conditions, as they can change, as we've noticed). In addition, if you ever rent a backhoe, make sure to always reposition the hoe to point straight back before driving around with it. Having it to the side really hurt us. I'm sick over it. I've worked so hard to build this house for my wife, and then I've created these new problems to solve, and it makes it tougher for her. That was her garden shed, and she stores her tools in it. And now we have to pay someone to fix it. We'll be paying with money that should've been going toward the house.
By the way, I should add that after all this turmoil, I got ready to return the tractor (so that I wouldn't have to pay an additional $200, since the rental place isn't open on Sunday and so if I kept it past 5pm, I'd be keeping it another day and couldn't return it until Monday morning). Anyway, I had to stop and park the trailer at the town hall (not far from our property) because I noticed that one of the tires on the trailer had gone flat. So I had to park the truck and trailer and walk back home (probably half a mile home).The rental guys said they'd come and get the trailer, and so on my way back to the truck, it started to rain. By the time I made it to the truck, I was fully soaked. It was reasonably pleasant to walk in the rain though, but I would've preferred to have stayed dry. This experience just topped off a fairly miserable series of events related to that backhoe today. I helped the guy change the tire (while it was raining, although he had a raincoat). I was happy to see him drive away with the trailer behind his truck, and I returned home.
I don't believe I'll ever feel good about today's work. It was a miserable day. It was a job that needed to be done, and in fact, was well overdue. However, the experience is one that I will not relish. I can't remember a time when I had a worse day.

No comments: