Friday, June 15, 2007

Footings - More of Them

The guys formed the footings for the next 2 sections of the house yesterday, and the concrete for the footings was poured this morning. The guys took off early after that, planning to work some this weekend. They probably plan on removing forms from the master suite module, and set them up for the next section of the house.
One thing I noticed is that they guys took off without locking up the storage container. I had to call my son and verify that he was awake (since he works nights) and that he'd be aware if anyone showed up and was snooping around out there. We don't want our tools and supplies "walking off" (as happens all too often on construction sites).
The guys are really good at what they do, but they seem to have a problem losing keys and forgetting to lock up. They lost the first key I gave them for the storage container, and so I ended up having to give them the only key I had (hoping that I can get a copy made soon (very soon)).Anyway, in addition to that, Jerry told me that he had to drill out some screws in the top latches for the container, because he or one of the guys jammed it up one day, and they couldn't get it closed completely, and they couldn't get it open again either. So he had to drill out those screws in order to get the latch loose. (So I'm wondering if I'll end up paying for that when the container rental is up).
Anyway, I hate to complain. The guys have been making progress. I'd have preferred to be further along, but you can't control the weather; in addition, Jerry said they normally have crews of 4 to do these jobs, but he's having to do it with 3. He had hoped to hire someone locally to help, but so far, he hasn't found anyone.
Anyway, I had to take off work early to get home and secure the site. That was a bit frustrating. I'd have had my son to lock the thing up, but he doesn't know how to operate the latches on the door. It's not hard to learn, but if you haven't seen it done, it's a bit of a mystery.

No comments: