Saturday, December 22, 2007

Started insulating and berming the east wall

I took off work a couple of hours early yesterday so that I could work a little bit on the house, knowing that the weather this weekend would turn cold with a possibility of rain and/or snow. I ordered some more dirt to be delivered and was assured that it would be on site this morning. It didn't make it.


With the two loads of dirt I had already, I put up insulation, starting where the retaining wall meets the master suite. The insulation needs to be an inch thick (on the buried walls, but 2 inches thick on the roof, which we're not ready to do). The sheets of insulation need to be staggered so that the seams are overlapped.


After I had insulation up, I began putting dirt up against the house, which would hold the insulation in place. I also used some lumber to prop the upper portion of insulation against the house until it can be fully bermed. We're not there yet. It'll take much more than just two loads (approximately 15 tons per load) of dirt.


Jeremy helped me a little bit and we did quick work. This morning, I resumed, but did it mostly on my own (had a little bit of help from Rachel).


I put in a 100 ft roll of water line, extended into the house. On the outside of the house, a portion of this will be buried by the berm, so it was important to have this in place before resuming insulating and dirt work.


I put in about 8 more feet of insulation and partially bermed it, and then propped the upper portions with lumber.


We did get some rain this morning, and the cold front came in. As of 15:00, the temperature sensor in our car port read 32° Fahrenheit, and we were getting sleet.


The dirt never came and I ran out of dirt to continue putting up insulation and berm. That was frustrating. I have this four-day weekend, and I'm not going to be able to do this kind of work. I really wanted it done.


I have a mountain of dirt from the original excavation, and I could put that behind the garage, but I don't like driving the tractor back there when the ground is soggy (like it is). So I was hoping that I could work on the east side of the house with purchased dirt.


I suspect the reason the dirt guy didn't deliver, is that it rained a little bit. That would weigh down the dirt and make it weigh more. The trucks are only rated for a certain amount on our roads, and it would be illegal for him to be driving with a full load weighted down by rain. However, I've noticed that the big construction sites still get their dirt on days like this.
It's frustrating, but I did get work done that you can actually see. Progress is happening. I figure I'll piddle around a little bit during this four day weekend, and I'll likely have photos to post.


I do plan to put in about 8 hours at my job some time this weekend, to make up for time I took off this week on the house. It's worth it.


PS. Ten minutes later, the temperature in the carport was almost a degree lower. So I'm not sure how much colder it is expected to get. I'd work in it though, if I had the dirt.

No comments: