Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The guys will hopefully return soon

I spent the weekend breaking up rock. The northeast trench needed to be finished, and I had to do it by hand. As luck would have it, I left off just inches from a boulder that was a foot to two feet thick and about five feet across.
I wish I'd had a machine to get it out of the ground, because it would've been a fine landscaping specimen. However, without the machine, I had to get it out somehow. I spent a lot of time beating the thing with a large iron spear-like tool. It takes anywhere from 35 to 50 hits before the rock would crack, and then I'd have to work on it a bit longer to wedge the iron bar into the crack and work it apart from the rest of the rock.
Wedged in with all the dirt and smaller rocks around it, it would take me a while longer to get it to the point where I could get my hands under it and lift it out of the ground.... and then I'd start over with another piece of the rock. These smaller pieces were around 200 to 300 pounds apiece, but it was workable. I was exhausted afterwards, but I didn't hurt my back like I did when I worked on larger pieces.
We're waiting for the Terra-Dome guys return. They've been off for a few days.
One bad thing that happened today, is that two guys showed up in a pickup, telling our son that they were here to see Jerry (they asked for him by name, and then asked for me), saying they were here to "drain the job site".
It took all day, but we finally got a hold of Jerry and he didn't know anything about it. So what were those guys here for? It's a bit spooky. It's spooky to know that there were strangers on our property, and they knew Jerry's name and they knew my name, but we don't know anything about who they are or why they were really here.I'd open to free help, but I honestly doubt that someone was showing up to help out (while we were off at work). It's spooky.

No comments: