Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Not much this coming weekend

We wont get much done this weekend, as we have other plans. This has made me feel an urgency to get a few things during the week to make up for it. And of course, I didn't do much this evening. I had planned to put up some fence, but then that's tough to do on your own, and it was hot.

I did pull the IP Cam down and get it inside to work with it. I got it working. Now I just have to see about getting it working outdoors. Our son got the network cable (even after we told him to be careful) with the string trimmer. I spliced it back together, but those wires are so tiny that it's almost microsurgery to get the cable working again. It was so tight getting through the port we have in the side of the house, that I really want to avoid pulling it out and running a new cable through. Plus, it was a 100ft cable and that would be somewhat expensive to replace. So I hope to use the existing cable, but I might have to do some more repairs on it.And of course, this is when I can get more time to work with it. I'd like to get that camera running outdoors again. I do plan on running it on a different port though, because Rachel wasn't able to view it from her job. I had no problems from my work, but she couldn't view it. Hopefully, I can find a port that will work for both of us.

The port-a-john company finally came and got their port-a-potty unit. It doesn't look like we'll need it for a while, and we were paying for a service that we weren't getting. They were supposed to clean it weekly, and for the 3 months that we had it on-site, they came out twice to service it. That's not worth the money, but we needed something for the Terra-Dome crew when they were here.

I'm going to have to take some time away from work (I'm sure I can work it in during a break) to call the gravel company and explain that they've invoiced us for a different grade of gravel than the 2 loads they last dropped off. They're wanting to charge $265 for the crappy gravel, and that's supposed to be at $250 a load. The $265 stuff is the washed rock. I like that rock, but didn't want to pay for it this time, and so it was frustrating to get the invoice and see that they charged us as if we'd gotten the good stuff.And the dirty gravel is expensive as it is.
If you're building and doing a lot of the contracting yourself, then you have to endure this sort of thing. You have to watch costs and you have to review every invoice to make sure you're getting what you're paying for, and that you're not paying for something that you didn't want (or that you didn't get).

We finally got around to paying the final Terra-Dome bill. That was a chunk of change, but we reviewed that bill and found some errors. We corrected the amount and reviewed it with Jay over the phone. After the review, he agreed on the final number and we sent the final check.
We wont be making the fast progress that we were, but it wont be costing us nearly as much either. The great thing is, we're not under any time schedule, other than a self imposed schedule of closing the house in before winter.

No comments: