Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Terra-Dome Updated Their Website

Normally, I wouldn't say anything about it, but I noticed this morning that Terra-Dome updated their website. They've done a great job and there are a lot of pictures of finished earth homes that they've built, as well as pictures of various stages of construction.
Probably the only reason I discovered their changes, is that I didn't go to work today. I'm sick. Rather than go down the list of ailments, I'll just say that I don't feel good and that it might not be good for me to be around other people at work. I'm frustrated at being home and not feeling well enough to work on the house. It's like this is a full day I could be working, except that I can't.
Maybe I can make a few phonecalls and make some house-related appointsments though. At this point, I'm not even sure if I feel like doing that.

http://www.terra-dome.com

There was a question in the guestbook, about why we chose Terra-Dome as opposed to another company that does earth homes. Simply, we liked the domed roofs, which provide much greater strength. We like the ability of having the wide open floorplans, as opposed to having support posts and beams across a room. Open floorplans allow flexibility for quality living space.
The downside, is that there are areas on the roof that don't slope, so water doesn't run off. You have to engineer ways of getting water off the roof. Companies like Davis Caves have the sloped roofs, but their roofs are flat and so they require a support beam across the middle of a module, and you are more apt to require some kind of post in a living space. However, apart from that, the two systems are similar. You just have to do the research and decide which you prefer. Terra-Dome was our choice.

The people at Terra-Dome try really hard to provide you a quality product at a low price. I have no experience with the other companies, so I can't comment about them.

And if we had more money and were interested in a full solution rather than a company that would only put up the super structure, we'd have probably gone with Earthlog Equity Group or a company like them. They do the same thing as Terra-Dome, but they also provide other services and seem to be more of a one-stop shop solution, providing finishing services. You get what you pay for though, and so Earthlog costs more per square foot (but you get more).

Do the research for yourself and decide.

No comments: