Monday, November 12, 2007

Slow Progress

I titled this entry "Slow Progress", but it should probably be "Working Slowly, with Little Progress". It's difficult to stomach working every weekend (and some evenings) and not having much to show for the effort.
This is a 3-day weekend for me (although there are chances of thunderstorms today and not sure how much work I'll get done).
Josh was over to help for a couple of hours yesterday. He's barely 16 years old (in fact, I'm not sure he's 16 yet) and he just works slow. However, he did a good job. It was just slower than I would've worked.
He applied more of the Ecoline-T, patching spots previously missed. He only got the east side of the master suite in a two hour period, and it was only the stuff that was 6 feet high or less. The upper stuff will have to be gotten with a ladder.

While he worked on that, I was on the roof apply hydraulic cement to the base of the western parapet above the great room.

All of this work is stuff that most people will never see. There's nothing to show that progress is being made. I visited my parents yesterday and my dad asked if we had a slab in yet. It was depressing to say that we don't. We don't have utilities to the house yet. We therefore don't have utilities in the floor yet. We don't have all the gravel we need in the floor yet. We have gravel to redistribute and level out in the garage.There's so much work to do before we can get the utilities in the floor, and we have to do that before we can get the slab in.
So it was depressing to say "no, we don't have the slab yet".

Progress is slow. I'm working, mostly by myself. Rachel helps where she can, but she's got the current house to keep up too. I have to pull off and do some maintenance there too. We had a water pressure issue, so I had to charge the pressure tank (and I think I've upset the equilibrium(sp?) between the air pressure and the pump, so this is another issue to resolve)(the pump cuts in and out) and there's more tweaking to be done.. And I have to repeatedly walk between the shed and the house to check the pressure and make adjustments back at the shed (where the pressure tank is).

I also have to clean the wood stove pipe, to get the creosote out for the coming season when we'll be wanting to warm the house. That takes time too.
All of this is time taken away from building the new house, but it has to be done. These are things that we knew ahead of time would be an issue, but I had hoped I'd be further along with the house than I am.

Little by little, the house will get built. Progress is being made. It's just sooooooo..... . . . . ssslllllowwwwww!!!!!

No comments: