Saturday, October 6, 2007

We worked on the northeast drainage trench

Rachel and I got out and worked early, before it got hot. We worked on the drainage trench northeast of the house. We got all the pipe in and then I covered it with a layer of gravel, and then some top soil. The pipe has a "sock" over it, which will keep dirt out of the pipe, but small holes in the pipe will allow water into (as well as out of) the pipe. This allows good drainage away from the house. Now the east side of the house is well drained. The other french drains that we need done, will be easier, I think.


Rachel climbed the ladder and started grinding down some of the exposed sharp edges of the form straps that are sticking out from the concrete. We want these as flush with the surface of the concrete as we can get, so that they'll be easier to waterproof. We pay special attention to the straps, because if there's a leak in the walls (after we backfill), the straps is where it will happen.


Rachel couldn't take climbing up and down the ladder for very long, so she kind helped me with the trench, and we got it all done. There's a little bit of dirt work left to do, and I still need to fix the water line that I accidently broke. That water line goes to the garden and it needs to be fixed. I broke it with the backhoe when I first dug the trench. (As I recall, that was a horrible day, as I damaged that water line, as well as damaged the garden shed; which still isn't fixed).
We'll get more work done this weekend.

No comments: