Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Frustration

For the 2 years that Rachel & I built the current building we're living in, we more than frequently experienced a lack of professionalism and courtesy from construction vendors, contractors and skilled labor. They were unreliable at best. Maybe they'd show up; maybe not. More often than not, they wouldn't bother to call to say they were running late or that they weren't showing up at all.

Rachel took off work today and now I have to take off tomorrow, because of the need to have someone onsite. We finally did get the port-a-john today. He's the only one that showed up. The Terra-Dome folks didn't show up and they didn't call.
The septic tank installers didn't show up and they didn't call. I guess it hasn't occurred to any of them that we have to work for a living, and taking off work to be here costs us money. Evidently, they think we're independently wealthy and have no need of an income.

PS. This is also why (besides the money savings) Rachel & I built the current building doing most of the work ourselves. We initially had some work done by an electrician. I had marked (with tape) studs that he was to put outlets on. There were only four of them. How could you mess that up? He did.
He decided to put one of the outlets in a different location, and then another he decided didn't need it's own circuit, even though I had told him that it was for the refrigerator and I specifically wanted it on its own circuit. I even had a 8x11 sheet of paper with the tape, showing the location and telling him to put it on it's own circuit. He even got the location wrong too. I had to relocate the box higher for the refrigerator and I had to run the new circuit myself.
So much for paying someone $70 an hour for this kind of work. I did the rest of the electrical work myself. I read the book and did it all to code and am proud to have done so.

and we had a worse experience with the plumber we had initially contracted, and so I ended up finishing most of that work myself too.

Hopefully, this new house will be a better experience. As far as reliability, I am just used to people doing what they're instructed to do; doing it on time, and notifying you if there are any issues or if they're going to be late. It's called being professional.

No comments: