Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Quit

I'm tired. The summer is hot. I can't get the materials I need to continue the job. I feel like giving up. When I sat down to write this, I had pretty much made my mind up that "I'm done. I quit."
I figure that I'll change my mind this fall, but for the summer, I'm done.

I have tried for over a month to get the sand that I need to continue work. I'm wanting to get this in the area where I can level it out over our utility lines and pour a slab for the floor.

It took 2 weeks because of weather and because of an unreliable dirt contractor. At first, the issue was that the sand was wet and so he couldn't deliver a full load because of the weight of the truck. I understand that but when it dried out days later, he kept saying they'd deliver the next day and didn't. After repeated calls, finally, 2 weeks later, it was delivered, and it was mostly clay, not sand like I had asked.
He had decided (for me) that although I asked for sand, what I really wanted was this stuff. He'd asked what I was doing to use it for, and he decided that he knew better what I needed.

So I asked for another load of sand and over 2 weeks later, it got delivered this day, and it was the same stuff as before. Crap!!!

I've been looking in the phone directory for another supplier in the area and there aren't that many. I finally got a hold of one this morning and the first thing he asked when I told him what I wanted as "what are you going to use it for?" I replied, "Never mind" and I hung up the phone.

I'm done. I've paid $260 dollars for clay that is of no use to me right now. Once it is dumped out of their truck, it's not like I can scoop it back up and send it back with them. I just can't seem to get the material I want, and I'm unwilling to use their clay for my application. I've tried. I've honestly tried.

My problem in the floor is that I spread the stuff and then try to compact it, but it sticks to the tamping tool that I use to compact it with. So I can't get a good level surface. It's taking me 3 to 4 times as long to get a level area for the slab, and I'm doing the work alone. I have no help. So I'm done. I quit. I don't know if I will resume work or not. It's quite possible that this house will never be completed. However, it's also possible that I will have a change of heart in the Fall. Right now, it's hot out there on the site, and I'm tired of struggling with inferior product, and I can't get the product that I repeatedly ask for.

No comments: